A Day in the Life

A day in my life. Thoughts on leadership, management, startups, technology, software, concurrent development, etc... Basically the stuff I think about from 10am to 6pm.

1/25/2007

Experienced Multithread Developer...so good I don't need locks

This has got to be one of the funniest things I've read all year. (Of course it's still early...)

"We have a multi-threaded .NET application, the problem is that the previous programmer didn't care to have locks on the shared variables. Somehow the application doesn't end up in Locked state on a single CPU machine but I have tried running it on several dual core machines and it randomly freezes. I am searching for a quick-fix until I implement locks around all the shared variables in the entire application.

Is there a way to bound the .NET application to single CPU.

Thanks!" link

Anyone who has been reading my postings or attended any of my concurrent development presentations will immediately see the humor in this. However, I will explain for the unenlightened....

I have been saying all along that there are a lot of folks writing multithreaded applications that have no idea what they're doing. The original developer is one of them. Now this guy is probably going to keep writing multithreaded apps because he thinks he has successfully done it before. In fact his new company may have hired him because of that experience. This is funny.

The other funny thing is that I've said time and time again that often a newbie will add multithreading and then only test on a single processor. Some folks have asked me how any one could be so...ignorant. (I want to say stupid but we're trying not to use that word at home.) Well folks, here you have it. Never underestimate a person's ability to do stupid...I mean ignorant things.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At March 06, 2007 1:48 AM, Blogger notagod said...

Oh god. It hurts me physically every time I think about it...

 
At March 06, 2007 11:02 AM, Blogger Kim Greenlee said...

Ahhh, well that was my first reaction. But sometimes when things are the darkest, it's best to reach past the pain and find the humor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home