A Day in the Life

A day in my life. Thoughts on leadership, management, startups, technology, software, concurrent development, etc... Basically the stuff I think about from 10am to 6pm.

9/23/2005

Grid-enabled Excel Spreadsheets - Part 2

Well, it turns out that my attempts at grid-enabling Excel spreadsheets had one little problem...I was unable to actually launch Excel from a Windows Service. I really don’t know exactly why, I suspect it’s because of Excel’s DDE dependency, but I tried just about everything. I can say that this was a very interesting problem. I was able to finally get everything working, basically as I had expected, by writing a VBScript that creates an Excel.Application object that opens the worker spreadsheet. Whew! The demo code and paper are now published in the Digipede Forums.

There is definitely more to look at in the world of Excel and Grids. And I’m very excited about our next Excel project. I just wrote up the proposal document and I hope to have something working next week.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home