A Day in the Life

A day in my life. Thoughts on leadership, management, startups, technology, software, concurrent development, etc... Basically the stuff I think about from 10am to 6pm.

3/20/2007

CRT .762 side-by-side error

About two weeks ago I installed VS2005 SP1 onto my laptop and a few days ago I was asked to retest all the sample code that ships with the Digipede Framework SDK. Everything worked fine until I got to IComWorkerCPP. IComWorkerCPP is a C++ COM sample which ran fine on my machine but when I tried to run it on the grid it failed.

I looked in the Event Viewer but only under Digipede so I didn't find any good clues. Robert looked under System and was able to come up with this error:

"Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."

After a bit of research it turns out that SP1 installs new C++ libraries with the minor version number .762. If you look in directory C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS you’ll see a bunch of side-by-side directories.

If you get the error above and you only see the directory x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_0de06acd and not the directory x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_6b128700, then you may need to install .762.

I was unable to find a download page on MSDN for the latest redist libraries. But did find that VCRedist_x86.exe was updated on my computer.

You can find the latest version in the directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\vcredist_x86

Simply run VCRedist_x86.exe on the target machine and you should be good to go.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At May 03, 2007 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Kim, your entry solved my issue. Now several clients will be happy again.

 
At June 11, 2009 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much. Installing vcredist_x86.exe fixed my issue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home