A Day in the Life

A day in my life. Thoughts on leadership, management, startups, technology, software, concurrent development, etc... Basically the stuff I think about from 10am to 6pm.

8/27/2006

Recommended ASP.NET webcast

When I’m learning a new technology I need to understand how it’s put together. (Basically understand the structure of the technology and then the base elements of how it works.) This is probably because I started my career working with DOS interrupts and Assembler. So in my quest to understand how ASP.NET works I ran across this great webcast that I think every ASP.NET architect or development lead should watch.

"MSDN Webcast: ASP.NET Under the Covers: Creating High-Availability, Scalable Web Applications (Level 300)"

I particularly liked the information pertaining to how virtual address space gets fragmented by small assemblies that align on 64KB boundaries; this means that there can be a lot of unused memory between the assemblies. With this increased risk of virtual address fragmentation, applications suffer out-of-memory (OOM) errors but the physical memory looks fine. Very interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home