A Day in the Life

A day in my life. Thoughts on leadership, management, startups, technology, software, concurrent development, etc... Basically the stuff I think about from 10am to 6pm.

8/11/2006

I want my Groups!

Googles UI has changed. What a pain in the butt. I use Google for work which means that I am often looking for code samples to clarify syntax and techniques. While for most users removing "Groups" isn’t that big a deal...for me it’s huge. Google has now added an extra button click and a mouse move for me to switch from "Web" search to "Group" search.



I suppose I could try to play around with Google’s personalized home page to see if that gets around the problem but right now I don’t have time. I did do a quick look to see if it would be easy, I basically just want the usual Google home page with the top links I need, but the personalized home page has a lot of crap on it which will slow down my page load time and there is no obvious way to set the links I want.

I’m sooo not happy about this.

6 Comments:

At August 14, 2006 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The normal front page doesn't have a feedback link, but the Google Suggest page does: mailto:labs+suggest@google.com. I sent my request there.

 
At August 14, 2006 11:27 AM, Blogger Kim Greenlee said...

dewaynec, that is a great idea to let Google know this change sucks but I suspect that they have all the numbers already and that Groups just doesn't get the same number of hits as Video. It's all about the money, don't ya know.

I'm wondering if the search portals are just getting too generic. I need a portal that is development focused. Maybe koderes can expand to do more than source code searching.

And perhaps dedicated search portals will be the wave of the future. I certainly think it will make me a happier user.

 
At August 14, 2006 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

miss my groups...

 
At August 19, 2006 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, found you on microsoft.public.vc.mfc. Download TweakUI and select Internet Explorer | Search. I added abbreviations for both google and google groups. So, for example, in IE I can type "gg IHTMLElement" and it will search groups.google.com for "IHTMLElement". Very cool. You now won't care how google arranges their links! :-)

 
At August 21, 2006 2:11 PM, Blogger Kim Greenlee said...

Davidc,

That’s some great information. In my ideal world Google would allow me to configure the search links to what I want, which is Web, Groups, and Blogs. (Keeping the text in the search box around as the new search location was loaded.) Those are the links I use to research technology and it would sure make my life easier.

Take care,

Kim

 
At August 23, 2006 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on the content of this blog I'd have to say that you have way too much time on your hands anyway. I would suggest spending less time with your useless blog and you'll have more time to click on Google.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home