A Day in the Life

A day in my life. Thoughts on leadership, management, startups, technology, software, concurrent development, etc... Basically the stuff I think about from 10am to 6pm.

8/16/2006

For me, VS2003 Server Pack 1 is a bust

I just installed Visual Studio .NET 2003 Server Pack 1, as I have written before here and here, I have been experiencing instability (i.e. the IDE is crashing hard) with VS2003 ever since I installed VS2005 on the same machine. I am sad to report that the service pack DOES NOT solve my problems.

It is very easy for me to reproduce two of the crashes:

The Properties crash:

1. Launch Visual Studio 2003.
2. Open a solution.
3. In the Solution Explorer pane, select a project.
4. Right-click on the project and select Properties at the bottom of the context menu.
5. Bam, "An unhandled exception has been caught by the VSW exception filter." and Microsoft sends itself the error information.

The Server Explorer crash:

1. Launch Visual Studio 2003.
2. Open a solution.
3. From the menu bar select View->Server Explorer.
4. Bam, "An unhandled exception has been caught by the VSW exception filter." and Microsoft sends itself the error information.

I don’t really need Server Explorer, but I do need to configure my project properties. On the plus side, at least my project file hasn’t been trashed. (Knock on wood)

4 Comments:

At August 16, 2006 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least it gave you some brief shining moments of hope...on my dev box the service pack refuses to even install.

 
At August 16, 2006 4:06 PM, Blogger Kim Greenlee said...

Mike, I am sooo glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read your comment. I would have had water coming out my nose!

Very good point though.

 
At August 19, 2006 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, VS2005 happily co-exists with VS2003 on two of my machines. I can edit project settings all day in 2003. Maybe you should uninstall 2005, then uninstall 2003, then re-install 2003 and finally re-install 2005. Something is very wrong with your system... and you shouldn't have to use a virtual machine for 2003.

 
At August 21, 2006 2:05 PM, Blogger Kim Greenlee said...

Hi Davidc,

Well, it's nice to know that some folks aren't having any trouble! I don't have time to uninstall all the software, cleanup all the memory turds, and then reinstall. For now it’s easier to work around the problem.

I have to support sample code in Visual Basic 6, C# and C++ under Visual Studio .NET 2003 (using .NET 1.1 and VSTO), and C# and C++ under Visual Studio 2005 (using .NET 2.0 and VSTO). Just way too much.

As you could probably tell, I was really hoping that the patch would fix the problem...<sigh>

Kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home