A Day in the Life

A day in my life. Thoughts on leadership, management, startups, technology, software, concurrent development, etc... Basically the stuff I think about from 10am to 6pm.

6/30/2006

Software: MSDN search tip

I really don’t like using Microsoft’s search engine to search MSDN. I can’t ever seem to find what I’m looking for because the search engine always seems to return everything but what I want. This is particularly a problem when I’m searching on something from a programming language reference or library. Usually I’ll use Google to search the site, but today I made an interesting discovery that may end up making MSDN more useful to me.

I wanted to find out what [Serializable] is in its relationship to a class. My original search was:

[Serializable]
Which didn’t get me what I needed, I then tried:

[Serializable] C#
Again this failed to produce the results I wanted. So then I remembered something I read yesterday and I tried this:

C# [Serializable]
And miracle of miracles...The first item that came up was what I was looking for. So my new strategy for searching the MSDN site will be language first, then what I’m looking for. And the answer to my question is that [Serializable] is an attribute.

1 Comments:

At August 14, 2006 5:13 PM, Blogger Randy Charles Morin said...

Another MSDN search
http://www.kbcafe.com/msdn.aspx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home