A Day in the Life

A day in my life. Thoughts on leadership, management, startups, technology, software, concurrent development, etc... Basically the stuff I think about from 10am to 6pm.

6/04/2006

Looking for a new blogging tool

I finally did it and bought a domain name and got a hosting company. My big plan for this weekend was to move my blog off of Blogger and onto WordPress. But because my hosting company is GoDaddy and I have the Windows hosting option, this didn’t work. The only way I could use WordPress to blog on GoDaddy would be to switch to the Unix hosting option and I want the ASP.NET 2.0 solution to play around with. So WordPress isn’t going to happen for me.

I then noticed that GoDaddy has a blogging tool called QuickBlog and I actually moved my blog over and I was getting really excited until I realized that I couldn’t access the template. I sent an email to GoDaddy asking about that and they confirmed that there is no way for me to put any of my own code into the template. This doesn’t work for me. But I have to say that QuickBlog looked very good and I think for more casual bloggers it is an outstanding tool. If I wasn’t so attached to some of the tools I’m using to monitor this blog, I would have made the move.

My next attempt will have to wait for later in the week. I just downloaded DotNetNuke 4.0.3 and hopefully this experiment will work out. Bill had posted that he had a good experience with it, so I’m going to give it a shot.

2 Comments:

At June 05, 2006 4:43 PM, Blogger Kim Greenlee said...

LOL. Young am I!?! I just happen to know (because I IM’d you ;-) that I am exactly 6 months OLDER than you, Mister! And quite frankly...I like my fancy toys. I do like knowing what’s going on underneath but I don’t have to write everything anymore. I say let those folks who WANT to write blogging software write it and I’ll focus on the stuff I think is fun. And I did track down your website...man!....would it kill you to put up a graphic! ;-)

And you know you can keep writing perl scripts to your hearts content. Just like COBOL, I’m sure it will come back around again.

Thanks for the laugh this morning. I sure do miss your sense of humor and sarcasm. Drip, drip!

 
At June 06, 2006 2:50 PM, Blogger Dan Ciruli said...

I don't know anything about it, but .Text runs on Windows. And Jason Mauer is working on a .NET-based blog tool; you may want to ask him if he's looking for beta testers! http://www.jasonmauer.com/about/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home