A Day in the Life

A day in my life. Thoughts on leadership, management, startups, technology, software, concurrent development, etc... Basically the stuff I think about from 10am to 6pm.

2/02/2006

Software: Remnant .NET 1.1 tag in converted .NET 2.0 csproj file

I converted several of my .NET 1.1, VS2003 sample projects to .NET 2.0, VS2005 using the conversion Wizard provided when VS2005 tries to open a VS2003 project. Each sample converted successfully. But my assembly references were wrong. Because the Digipede Network now supports .NET 2.0 we have two versions of the Digipede Framework, one for .NET 1.1 and one for .NET 2.0. This requires two sets of sample project files one for each version. Resetting the references allowed all but one of my samples to run fine.

The MasterCommandLine project was unable to find the correct Digipede.Framework.dll assembly. I looked at the project through the VS2005 interface but I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. So even though Microsoft recommends that we not edit .sln or .csproj files ourselves. I cracked open the .csproj with notepad and looked for any fully qualified paths. What I found was this:

<AssemblyFolderKey>hklm\dn\digipede.framework.1.0.560.0</AssemblyFolderKey>

It wasn’t able to find any Microsoft documentation to explain what AssemblyFolderKey is for, but I did observe two things:

- AssemblyFolderKey was not in my other projects
- AssemblyFolderKey contained an invalid assembly name (1.0.560.0 was the first release)

So I deleted the tag and my project found the correct assembly.

Technorati tags: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home