A Day in the Life

A day in my life. Thoughts on leadership, management, startups, technology, software, concurrent development, etc... Basically the stuff I think about from 10am to 6pm.

9/16/2005

Interesting Google Search

I haven’t played with Google’s “I’m Feeling Lucky” button so I wasn’t sure what to expect when someone told me to type in “failure” and then press “I’m Feeling Lucky”. I was very surprised to have this link come up: http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/gwbbio.html.

I actually got a little chuckle out of it but now I’m curious as to how that algorithm works. So of course I googled it. Turns out that the “I’m Feeling Lucky” button takes you directly to the top-ranked result for your search. Which doesn’t answer the question of how that page gets the top hit for “failure” when the word is nowhere on the page? Interestingly enough when I do a regular Google search, http://www.michaelmoore.com/ comes in second. I can’t help but feel like someone’s cheating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home